Thursday 25 September 2014

Homelessness

Today I spoke to Michael.

Michael is currently homeless and was sitting sheltering from the rain in my local shopping precinct. I had never seen or spoken to him before. He was just another "beggar", "druggie", "alcy" or whatever other derogatory term the populace may wish to use for him as they walk by. The thing is, Michael is none of those. I stopped and told him I was getting a hot drink and would he like one too. In a pleasant tone he said he would be very grateful. I returned a few minutes later to hand him the drink and to ask if he was getting help and support.

He told me a bit about his life (he's around 40) and explained he spent some of his youth backpacking and has held jobs in the past but due to unforeseen circumstances he is now without a home of his own and is waiting for the local authority to find him accommodation. He has recently been sleeping on friend's floors and occasionally on the street. He was clear-eyed, articulate and sober. He was not begging as he was not asking passers-by for change and had no receptacle or sign asking for money.

Michael went on to tell me how in recent weeks in this same spot, he has had youths spitting at him and other members of the public verbally abusing him. He said that ultimately he understood that it was his responsibility to get himself out of the mess he is in but didn't deserve this abuse. He explained how what happened to him could happen to almost anyone which most people are unaware of.

I wished him all the best and returned home. A home my wife and I have worked hard for but one in which I also count my blessings every day. This brief conversation re-focused my mind and puts the daily petty annoyances we all encounter into perspective. This may sound trite but it's also a truism. The next time you see a "Michael", be grateful it's not you.

No comments:

Post a Comment