Wednesday 10 October 2012

Naked Model Rescue

In mid November 2005, an agency I had been using for some time, assigned me to work for a local government adult education scheme in a converted mill in north Manchester. It was basically a data entry job

On the first morning of the assignment, I was met by mt new manager and led into a quiet room adjacent to the open plan office where I would be working.  He explained fully what he wanted me to do with some kind words of encouragement.  As he was talking to me I couldn't help but notice that he was the spitting image of Gerry Adams so we'll refer to him as "Gerry"

The work itself was non challenging and after about 2 weeks it was already becoming tedious. However, Gerry did his level best to freshen the work up and his sense of humour was desert dry.  When everyone in the office was leaving on a Friday afternoons, and they all uttered the usual insincere "have a good weekend" stuff, Gerry would reply "ah well, soon be Monday though" or "less than 72 hours and we're all here again" and other such remarks.  He always said it with a smile, nod and a wink. Some people weren't amused but I loved it and never tired of his dry wit.  He was a manager who never took himself or life generally too seriously (take note managers).  He got things done in his own way and never pretended the work we were doing was any more than it was. The tasks were boring but someone had to do it and he always made it known how appreciative he was for our efforts. My other colleagues in the office were an eclectic bunch and I didn't mix well with a few of them but Gerry's superb man management skills soon smoothed things over.

Within the mill there were several adult education classes being conducted at any one time. Across the corridor from the office where I was based was the life drawing class. One warm afternoon a female model from one of these classes fainted whilst naked.  The first we knew of this was when the tutor from the class burst into our office looking for a first aider.  As fate would have it Gerry was the nearest one so he sprung into action.  The tutor had made it clear it was the life drawing class.  As Gerry exited the room he stopped suddenly, turned to us and said "I may be some time".  When he came back in, his face was beetroot in colour but he had managed to revive the hapless model with her dignity just about still intact. It must have been rather unsettling though to have a Gerry Adams lookalike stood over you administering first aid just after you'd fainted in your birthday suit!

When I made the decision to leave this assignment, Rob accepted it with grace. He organised a leaving drink and gifts and gave me a glowing open reference and said I could give his details anytime for future reference requests. He was a fantastic manager who always got the best out of his staff without upsetting anyone.  Above all he was respectful and respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment