Friday 11 October 2013

Rosary Beads Miracle of County Wexford

Most people are interested in mystery. Events that occur with no logical explanation. Well, allow me tell you the true story of the rosary beads miracle of County Wexford in Ireland.

My maternal family roots lie in the rural "sunny south east" of the Emerald Isle. It is a beautiful part of the world, rich in history, rich country air, pleasing landscapes, smells of burning turf and people always ready for the craic. A few years ago something happened here which defied all known reason and is still astounding a local community in it's wonder. 

My mother's cousin (my auntie) and her husband live in County Wexford and are people of devout Roman Catholic faith. They are a delightful, warm and friendly couple. One night a few years ago Mam's cousin used the rosary beads for prayers as usual then retired to bed with her husband and left the beads on a bedside table. This was a routine occurrence. The following morning when they both awoke, the beads were missing from the table. After a short time they noticed the beads were wrapped around the light fitting above the bed.

They both searched their thoughts for an explanation. Neither of them are practical jokers and they were alone in the house when the beads were placed on the bedside table. Nothing disturbed them during the night, the beads were on the table, then when they woke up the same beads were tightly wrapped around the light fitting. Once they had time to think, they left the beads where they were and started to tell a few people what had happened. Unsurprisingly, the locals wanted to see the beads so they have stayed where they are to this day.

A year or so after the event, my mother visited her cousin and during the stay asked to say a few prayers alone in the bedroom with the beads. Nothing life changing happened to her but she has said that she had an unusual spiritual feeling during her prayers. I haven't personally visited the house in question but I have seen photographs and was surprised to see just how tightly wound the beads are with the crucifix at the top.

Earlier this year I spoke on local radio in Manchester about this occurrence and the presenter was mildly flippant with some of his remarks including that it all sounded "a bit Father Ted" and he "wasn't sure I would be happy with a procession of people marching into my bedroom" but I think I got my point across that this was genuine and, so far, no one has found a rational reason how or why this happened.



No comments:

Post a Comment