Sunday 12 May 2013

Pippi Longstocking of Blackley, Manchester

Where do I start with the flame-haired legend Carmel Stubbs? I have never met anyone quite like her in my life to date. It's impossible to do her justice with just a few words in a blog so I could sum her up as a "character with a heart of gold".

Our paths through life crossed in the less than thrilling surroundings of a local authority office. She worked in a different department to me but her legend had reached me within a few months of my start date. She was variously described as "nuts", "a one off" and "once met, never forgotten". She is indeed all these things. My first impression of her was a bit off-putting. She was loud, opinionated and highly demonstrative but I quickly realised she was not like anyone else I'd met from council life so in this sense she was refreshing and a raging storm of fresh air. She was a rebel without a cause and I grew to admire her for it.

I named her Pippi Longstocking as she occasionally wore an outfit straight from the fictitious girl's wardrobe. With her flowing ginger hair and unruly manner she was this character brought to life. My personality is as far removed from hers as is humanly possible, however, the old adage of opposites attracting surely summed up our unlikely friendship.We started to chat more often (when she wasn't distracted) and I noted she seized upon small details that were important to me. Occasionally, she has angered me but she is impossible to fall out with and from being colleagues we became friends. She also has a unique sense of humour. Her wit is sharper than a flashing blade.

The world is a far more entertaining place with Carmel "Pippi" Stubbs  in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment