Sunday 12 May 2013

The Bolton Belle

After I switched jobs at the council I took up a "back office" position. My new role involved working closely with Liz Bell. Liz is 20 years younger than me but her outlook on life and wisdom belied her youth. She was charged with training me (not an easy job for anybody) but carried out this task with effortless efficiency. Previously, I'd had some bad experiences with younger people training me (see Housing Trust Babysitter post) but this wasn't one of them. Liz was kind, patient & friendly. Her selflessness was remarkable and we forged a surprisingly successful team of 2. 

I worked with Liz for just 9 months but this would prove to be the happiest time in any job I'd had for a number of years. Everything was going swimmingly for me until she found a more suitable job nearer to home so she left with my very best wishes. However, it also left me with a very heavy heart. When I started in the role working with her, my confidence was at a low ebb but by the time she left I felt much more secure and better placed all round to tackle future tasks in this workplace.

Liz is a truly lovely girl. I am still in occasional touch with her and continue to wish only good things for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment