Sunday 12 May 2013

Affable Carole

I left a job in local government over a year ago now. I left voluntarily. My informed decision was not taken lightly and like most jobs, it had it's good and bad points. I wish to use the next few posts to highlight a few colleagues who enriched my time in the authority and I feel deserve lavish praise for the part they played in this period of my working life.

First up is Carole. Upon joining the local authority I had to endure a week long induction. That's correct, a WEEK long. A day would have been more than sufficient as the roles we were going into didn't require a  bombardment with unnecessary information we were never likely to need for the job in hand. Anyway, there were 2 other new starters with me for this week of attrition. One of them was Carole Jones.

I warmed to Carole straight away as she had a friendly smile and a affable personality. We helped each other along with confidence boosting encouragement and friendly advice if and when needed as the week unfolded. I was completely at ease in her company and if it wasn't for her I would have struggled and may even have questioned taking up the forthcoming role.

Once we started the role we were "customer facing" on opposite help desks. This proved to be the wrong role for me at the wrong time. However, in the 3 months I worked opposite and alongside her she made a huge impression on me (all positive) and I continued to chat with her regularly after I switched roles within the council. She is marvelously non-judgmental and a wonderfully warm person.

No comments:

Post a Comment